Skip to main content

Sincerely, Desired to be Found

An interesting concept that I was recently introduced to is the concept of how people play hide and seek with their identities. I never realized before how often and inconspicuously this occurs. Sometimes we are the ones doing it, and other times we are the ones being fooled and only made privy to fakeness - someone hiding her true identity. 
          This concept has two variations. The first is the more common one and the one I just mentioned; people often change the identity they choose to present to the world. They change what version of themselves the world gets to see. They frequently, but thus temporarily, change how the world perceives them and, therefore, who the world comes to know them as. This is done by changing the way one acts. One adjusts one’s personality so that one identifies with different people than one normally would. One acquires or achieves a new perception, and thus a new identity, as both are very much intertwined. A new perception almost always eventually evolves into a new, inherited, yet temporary, identity. Therefore, the first variation of the concept regards a game of hide and seek between the subject herself and the many people or bystanders she knows in the outside world. She chooses who to be with each person so they all come to know her differently. 
          The second variation of this concept regards a game of hide and seek between oneself and oneself. Sometimes, whether consciously or subconsciously, one hides oneself from themself. Sometimes it is intentional, with the intent to try to assume someone else’s personality, but sometimes it is unintentional and one simply loses themself anyway. One subconsciously, and thus unintentionally, hides from one’s own true identity and must be the one to seek it and retrieve it. 
          I have been in both of these scenarios quite a bit. I have had many people judge me and make fun of me, so I have adapted new personalities or identities at times to make myself fit in. I have become an expert at molding myself into situations. You simply become like the people you’re with because even if you become who they want to be, that will only lead to jealousy. You have to meet them where they’re at as an equal; better is no good because now you’re an “overachiever.” 
          I have also been in the scenario where I have purposely or accidentally lost myself, and where I alone am the one left playing hide and seek or search and find with my own identity. I am personally very susceptible to letting my emotions take control of me, so it isn’t hard for me to occasionally lose myself and not know who I am. I always find my way back to my true, authentic self and reclaim my identity, but depending on the situation it can take some time. 
          I think the overall moral that I gleaned from becoming aware of this concept is that we all just want to be understood, accepted for who we are, and/or “found.” All of humanity longs for and constantly craves acceptance and understanding of their true selves. However, because of society’s corrupt and warped standards of what “normal” is, gaining those things is sometimes easier for some than others; but as sad as that fact is, I believe everyone is given at least one person in their life that truly and sincerely understands them and with whom they can say they feel completely “found.”

Sincerely,
Desired to be Found

Comments