Skip to main content

Sincerely, Marilyn Monroe

Though the public only got wind of the one telegram I sent her on her wedding day, I followed her life very closely. We were never best friends, but we sent correspondence back and forth occasionally. We knew of each other like most people in our business. 
         As the years went on, Grace became increasingly unhappy. She couldn't connect with her children especially as they got older. Her husband became more and more domineering as his politics became more controversial and harder to control. He took his stress out on her. He let his opponents drive a wedge between them to consequently divide the kingdom as well. It wasn't hard to turn them against each other when they each harbored so much anger towards the other already. They were so different; they came from different worlds. Neither one of them could've anticipated what their life together would've looked like. They were both so unprepared and naive if you ask me.
 
          Grace is my biggest competitor... but only on paper. I know: we look alike, we have the same job, and now we've both been offered the same convenient marriage proposal. However, while all of this is true, I don't consider myself better than her or in any way in a competition with her. She and I are one and the same. And she's talented. She's very talented. Somehow I get the feeling that she is destined for far better than even myself. She deserves everything she's achieved this far, and I am in no way jealous of even the slightest of her accomplishments because we have two completely different images. She has true elegance and poise - something that I do not have. She is a woman whereas I am still only a symbol of the ideal woman. How else could she have accepted the proposal that I once had to reject? Therefore, I am telling you, do not assume that I have any hatred or ill will towards her. I do not.
Sincerely, 
M 
 
          Anytime I see her in the newspaper she looks different than she did before. Before, she looked tired; now she looks happy, but constrained - as if she's forcing it, or rather, acting. But she's playing the biggest role of her life and she seems to have finally learned her lines. All the headlines are positive now. I don't know what's changed, but I do know she looks learned or educated - coached perhaps.
          She seems to have repaired her marriage, although I do have a hunch it's superficial. I do believe she loves him, but she doesn't love his baggage and so many of the things associated with him. She hasn't regained her newlywed infatuation over the idea of marrying him, she's just learned how to separate him from his baggage.
 
          You suggested I send her a telegram. Well I already did - on my own accord. I'm sure you heard they just got married. I sent her a telegram that I believe only she will understand. It is for her eyes only, but I will tell you what it said. Do not make me regret this. I told her, "I'm so happy you found a way out of this business."
 
Sincerely, 
 
((Fictionalized writing from Marilyn Monroe (except the telegram) regarding Grace Kelly - a fellow famous actress and later - Princess Grace of Monaco through marriage)).

Comments