Skip to main content

Sincerely, The Definition Enthusiast

As many of you know, I am a huge word nerd. I also love definitions because words are useless if you don't know their meanings. 
Defining "victim" and "fate" for the Oedipus debate got me thinking about how often I refer to or use definitions.  

    In my favorite TV show, Signed Sealed Delivered (SSD), the main character is also a word nerd. While watching it, I often Google the definitions for a lot of the words from his dialogue. From SSD alone, I learned the words ablutions, effervescence, abhor, and incommunicado. I also use definitions to support my stances when the SSD fans on Twitter are debating. For example, there is one scene where Oliver the word nerd and his love interest Shane are locked in a bank vault. Oliver is still married to his wife Holly even though she fled to Paris years before. The debate was on whether he was flirting with Shane in the bank vault despite being a married man. I immediately used the definition of flirting in my evidence. 

    I also realized I have two poems written about definitions; one about how definitions don't define me, and another about how things in my life have a different definition than what's in the dictionary. 

    I doubt many people like definitions as much as me, but imagine if they didn’t exist. Also, think about this: definitions are made up of words that also have definitions. Isn't that mind-boggling once you really ponder it?

Sincerely, 

The Definition Enthusiast

Comments