Skip to main content

Sincerely, What Truly Matters About a Person

I love poetry, especially spoken word poetry. That is why I loved Meera Dasgupta's poem "My Poems as Victims of Gun Violence."



One of my favorite lines is "This is where my poems go to pen their eulogies." Not only is it beautiful personification, but it reminded me of a message I've been seeing everywhere lately. No eulogist says: 

"Sebastian had the most expensive mansion." 

"Everyone wished they had Lucy’s Lamborghini." 


Instead: 

"Sebastian always spent his time generously helping others.

"Lucy spread happiness wherever she went. Her smile and laugh immediately brightened days." 


I recently discovered Michigan native and national youth speaker, Jim Tuman. One of my favorite messages of his is that nobody remembers someone for the house or the car she had after she dies. Someone remembers you for who you were as a person - how you treated people and what you contributed to the world.


   
Jim Tuman


I realized that I, and honestly my whole generation, spend way too much time obsessing over when we will get a new car or the latest iPhone, when none of that truly matters. We don't choose our friends based on their possessions right? We choose them because they’re kind, fun, and supportive. So while you’re wasting time standing in line at the Apple Store, ask yourself: What do I want people to say during my eulogy? How do I want to be remembered? Am I living a purposeful, impactful life? What will my epitaph read? 

Sincerely, 

What Truly Matters About a Person

Comments

  1. Wow, I love the format of your blog! It's so creative and is so reflective of you (as you're such an amazing writer and so open to share your deep and meaningful thoughts). I most enjoyed how you ended the letter by asking your readers to reflect about ourselves after reading your thoughts, and I wholeheartedly agree with all of your points. We really do spend too much time having a materialistic mindset, and this post has made me reflect deeper on my actions and how I should change that part of me. I can't wait to read more posts in the future!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment