Skip to main content

Sincerely, I Know of a Few Geniuses


    There have been two times so far in my English class career where I have been forced to read a book I thought I would never like, but ended up liking. The first time was in 8th grade when I read Oliver Twist. I had always hated classics, but that one I LOVED! Now I even like to use the phrases "the former" and "the latter" to channel my inner Dickens. Dickens is one of the geniuses I am referring to in the title. He created a character (Scrooge) whose name is now a noun in everyday language - ever heard someone being called a Scrooge? 

    The second time was in junior year when I read The Great Gatsby. I think the symbolism Fitzgerald created in that book is phenomenal! Thus, "X-Raying Gatsby" was one of the most fascinating things I have ever read! My favorite part was the "Right Word" section. Fitzgerald was such a talented writer that he used the perfect, rare word, and an editor actually thought it was a mistake and reprinted it! As if I didn't think Fitzgerald was a genius already! And now I know he was a word nerd too! By the way, did you know that Dr. Seuss invented the word "nerd?" I can't imagine being clever and famous enough to be credited with inventing a word because mainstream society adopted it into conventional language. 



Hall of Geniuses:



Sincerely, 

The Nerd that Knows of a Few Geniuses 



Comments